Monday, April 23, 2007

The Best Dictionary Ever

The Free Dictionary www.tfd.com is my favorite reference tool on-line or in print. This is a great site because, besides the usual dictionary features, it has both printed and audio pronunciation help, lots of helpful links and 9 actual dictionaries. The first is the usual English language dictionary/thesaurus and I like it because the definitions I've found tell me what I want to know. How often have you looked up a word and been presented with a definition that wasn't at all what you were looking for?

Should something like that happen here, most likely one of the other eight sections have what you want. These include the following specialty dictionaries: Computer, Medical, Legal and Financial. There are lists of acronyms and idioms and two encyclopedias: Columbia and Wikipedia.

You can even add this site to your Google toolbar so no matter where you are on the web, any word can be defined by a few quick clicks.